Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Big Brother is watching so watch yourself...



Naperville City Desk has just learned that cameras have been installed at North Aurora and Rt. 59 to catch scofflaws making left turns after the light has turned red. Curiously the cameras are only set up to monitor northbound 59 and eastbound North Aurora traffic. The Naperville Sun reports that as of Feb. 1 drivers who enter the intersection after the light turns red will be ticketed.

Trixie lives in this vicinity and has to make this turn somewhat regularly and let me tell you, it's a bitch. The light lasts about 15 seconds - drivers need to be ready to make the green left-turn arrow because only about 4 cars will safely make that turn. While I think it's good in one respect that a red light is not a suggestion, I would argue that the left-turn light should be longer during peak hours. And I know it's just a matter of time before I treat the yellow light as a STOP and I will have to listen to impatient jackasses behind me honking their horns. I will just have to remember that I am in front and they can't go through me unless they want to buy me a new car.

Trixie must also point out that the Naperville Sun editor who wrote the piece needs to check his own spelling:

That's why I'm a big fan of the new red light cameras at that intersection. I know many people say it's just a money-making venture for the city, or that it will cause more accidents because people will slam on their breaks to avoid getting a ticket. But I am at heart a law-and-order type and I really hate the kind of crazy driving I would see in that area.


It's BRAKES, dumbass. I know it was an opinion piece but shouldn't an editor EDIT? Kee-ripes, send it to me at Naperville City Desk and I'll edit it for you.

1 comment:

  1. You tell 'em Trixie. You're doing a great public service by announcing this.

    ReplyDelete