Friday, June 26, 2009

Friday night Fun - Slaid Cleaves - One Good Year

NCD is thrilled to present another long-time favorite!

I used to work for a major Michigan-based book retailer and for a couple years I sat across from our folk music buyer, Stefan. When he wasn't pelting me with rubber bands and stress balls (he'd wait until I picked up the phone and started talking then I'd feel a whack in my ear), he was a damn fine shortstop and also a terrific music buyer back when this major book retailer carried a lot of fantastic music. Sitting across from someone you play softball with who is a music buyer has its advantages and Stefan called me over one day and said 'Here, check this guy out.' I looked at the CD he handed me and said 'Slaid Cleaves? What the hell kind of a name is Slaid?' Stefan raised an eyebrow and said, 'yeah, it's a weird name but give it a listen anyway - I think you'll like it. If you hate it you can give it back to me.'

Ten years later I still have that CD (and everything else he's ever recorded, too).

It was called 'Broke Down' and I was hooked by the second song. Slaid is a singer-songwriter from Maine who moved to Austin to try to get his big break. He's a crazy-skilled wordsmith and every song has a line in it that I wish I'd written; he can break your heart in one chorus. I've long bemoaned the fact that it seems like not enough people know about him but just last week I was delighted to find out a couple people I work with are big fans, too. So Slaid, if you're touring, c'mon by Chicagoland! There's a bunch of people who would like to see you!

Without further ado - here is the song that hooked me on Slaid Cleaves: 'One Good Year.'

Who wouldn't be devastated (in a good way) by a bridge like this:

When you start givin' in
where do the promises all go?
Will your darkest hour
write a blank check on your soul?

Just give me one good year
to get my feet back on the ground
I've been chasing grace
but grace ain't so easily found
One bad hand can devil a man
A good one can turn him around
I've gotta get out of here
Just give me one good year

No comments:

Post a Comment