Friday, April 3, 2009

Friday night Fun - Chris Knight

Here's a song from another one of my all-time favorite songwriters, Chris Knight. The comparisons to Steve Earle are inevitable but he's a talent in his own right.

Here's a true story about Chris Knight. I used to work for a major book and music retailer based in Michigan. The music labels used to bring artists to our offices to meet with the buyers and they'd perform, which is a really amazing perk that I miss very much. I'd gotten Chris Knight's self-titled first album from one of the buyers and loved it from the start so I was really looking forward to his appearance. A couple people in the office asked me about him because they heard he was coming and I said, 'well, he writes these gritty story songs and he's an Americana artist.' They said 'what's Americana?' and I said, it's like country music only WAY better and they immediately said 'no way - I don't like country.' I just said suit yourself. Chris arrived and very graciously took a seat in our cafeteria and started playing and singing with me and about four other people in the audience. He kept singing and wouldn't you know it, people started drifting in and by the time he was done the room was at capacity. My co-workers said after the show 'you didn't say it was gonna be like THAT - that was awesome.'

Yeah! Next time just listen to me!

This one's dedicated to my brother: Enough Rope, title track from his 2006 album.
(Please ignore the weird Aussie chick.)

No comments:

Post a Comment