Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Grammar Bitch HOPES this lesson is well-received



Tonight I have decided to enlighten all my readers on the proper use of the word 'hopefully.' Well, really, it shouldn't be used at all as it is ill- and mal- and wrongly-used pretty much across the board.

For example, this is how it is (ill-) used with frequency today:

"Hopefully I'll leave on the noon plane."

It's a very common usage, I know, but in truth it's use this way is just plain silly. "Hopefully" is an adverb that means 'with hope.' So, do you mean you'll leave on a plane in a hopeful state of mind? Or do you mean you hope you'll leave on the noon plane? Best to use the active voice and say 'I hope I leave on the noon plane.'

Grammar Bitch knows she is fighting an uphill battle as this usage is prevalent in everyday speech and in TV dialog. But I will admit it bothers me when I hear news announcers using it; the writers who write the copy should know better.

But just because a battle is difficult does not mean it should not be waged.

No comments:

Post a Comment