Friday, October 30, 2009

Friday night Fun - Flying Burrito Brothers - Six Days on the Road

It's Flying Burrito Brothers night here at Naperville City Desk and boy are we excited. Gram Parsons is a big favorite and his work with the FBB is fantastic. Oddly, my first exposure to this song was not from FBB or Steve Earle who covered it. No, the first place I remember hearing it was the Blind Pig in Ann Arbor. On Fridays they had a country cover band of assorted Ann Arbor locals and they'd play happy hour from 5 to 8 pm or so. I went with my friend Mimi just about every Friday for about three years, until the Blind Pig decided they didn't want them anymore and they moved over to the Cavern Club, a perfectly awful venue. Goofy stage, bad visibility and a microscopic dance floor. The country nights ended pretty soon after that but I still have fond memories of Pistol Pete covering Conway Twitty's 'Make Believe' and this song.

No comments:

Post a Comment